Sunday, March 1, 2015

Winter trimming

I took Molly's blanket off the other day and she rolled almost immediately. She wears a Jammie (c) under the blanket to keep her from getting the shoulder rubs she developed last year. It looks strange, but I hope it helps her.

This winter many nights have been below 0 F. All winter long everyone's conversation has been about the weather. For me, taking care of Molly at the barn has actually helped me enjoy being outdoors. But for her, although she has a run in shelter, she has no choice but to spend her days and nights outdoors in subzero temperatures.

Molly's farrier, N., trimmed her feet recently. Molly's behavior was bad! I haven't worked her much this winter, so that is largely to blame. I wonder if she might also be more achy because of the cold. N. observed that Molly may have hock issues, because she doesn't easily lift her back feet even in good weather. She thinks this could be the result of Molly having strained against heavy loads she had to pull for many years earlier in her life. It may have presented as lameness, which may have led to her being sold.

As much as I am discouraged over my own lack of experience, I'm glad Molly is with me now.




1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that Molly's with you too, Marie!!! She now understands what it means to be loved...<3

    ReplyDelete