Sunday, March 29, 2015

Another Horse

I was grooming Molly the other day when another horse began hanging her head over the fence. Not wanting her to spook Molly, I went over to the visitor and "pushed" her off the fence with sweeping arm motions.

This horse is young and not always cooperative. She reared up at me. I jumped back and shouted at her. Then she turned around and kicked at me with both of her back feet. That was very bad behavior and I have standing instructions from C. to respond to these kinds of incidents. So I jumped through the fence to shoo her away. When she turned to face me, I stopped and looked steadily at her. Then I approached her steadily and stood next to her. Then I had her back up a few steps and at that point, I  praised her.

I am getting used to reacting to this horse. Because I'm usually on my guard around her, I never expected to like her. And yet I sometimes do. Sometimes, when  she's  calm and letting herself be scratched, you can almost sense her lack of connection. It's as though she doesn't quite feel the ground under her feet, doesn't quite have a sense that she has a place in the world. We feel for her, as vexing as she can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment