Sunday, February 22, 2015

Cold Hands, Warm Heart

The cold and snow have continued, but there are some breaks in sight and in a week or two we may be out of the teens for the most part. So hopefully this will be the last time I focus on coping with subzero temperatures.

I try to take care of my hands in winter. Here are my most important accessories.

25 degrees and up:


Notice one has gone AWOL even though I was watching them very carefully. I'm hoping it will turn up when the snow melts.

Below 25 degrees:



My first shearling product. Very warm even though worn. I'm going to patch these with an old fleece insole I've been saving.



Mittens from childhood. Used when the above get wet.



My second shearling product. Mended many times. Still very warm, nearly as warm as mittens. Used when both of the above get wet.

Any temperature, any time of year, the best barn footwear ever:



These are about 5 years old. They are so great though they could probably stand to be boiled clean. Good in mud, poop, rain, flooding, and snow. Attached to them here, for icy conditions, are YakTrax (c). This way I can move freely and safely around the barnyard. Frankly, sometimes I need these to navigate the premises at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment